Berlin to Copenhagen bike path.
  • winstonwinston February 2011
    This passes within a few kilometres of my house up here in Mecklenburg.

I'm definitely considering doing this or some of this with my young son and girlfriend this summer or next.....even if only from here to Rostock and back.

I can vouch for the fact that the sections of this route that I've already ridden on near me are of good quality, but I'd be keen to hear experiences of anyone who's done the whole route.

Links:

• chuck May 2011
    I did this 4 years ago with my 6 year old son and 8 year old daughter.  We did the entire route from Copenhagen to Berlin.  We rode a Bike Friday triple and towed all our gear in the trailer.  We took 9 days to do it and had no problems.  The road conditions were great.  I  would highly recommend  this trip, especially if you speak German - we do not.  If your son is young, make sure to find the water parks along the route - they were great and kept the kids motivated.  Go do it.
  • winstonwinston May 2011
    Wow, sounds great. I've seen the bike Friday triple in pictures, but they don't seem to make them anymore.

Some of the locals here, tell me that the entire route is tarmac (asphalt) off road bike path, but I'm sure that's not the case?...what did you find, does it go on roads for certain sections, I notice it's pretty twisty so assue these roads would be quiet lanes?

Water parks sound like a great diversion for me too, will definitely check them out.
  • chuck May 2011
    The majority of the ride is on segregated, paved bike path - or at least a dedicated bike lane along the road.  The smaller segments that are on the road without bike lane are very quiet back roads.  I was on the triple, of course, but I would have no problem taking kids with their own rides.

You are probably already familiar with it, but here is the link to the guide book:

http://www.esterbauer.com/db_allg.php?land_id=DK&reihe_id=RB

The book is somewhat dated but is still full of good information.

I'm surprised Bike Friday stopped making the triple.  It is perfect for point-to-point trips with 2 children or another adult and one child.  Plus they convert to a regular tandem if you get down to 2 riders.  You may want to look for a used one for sale (which mine will be in a year or two).

Enjoy
  • winstonwinston May 2011
    I ride sections of it near here, as does the local club run I go with on Sundays, some of the "fahrrad strasse" is incredible, smooth tarmac through forests for 7 or 8 kilometres....looks like the earliest this will happen is next summer, what with all the upheaval of settling into a new country and finding permanent accommodation.
  • benedictbenedict April 2012
    Post edited by benedict at 2012-04-26 02:19:03
  • meatHaus April 2012
    fuck that. 430 km in 24 hours? "Jederman" my arse.

:)
  • winstonwinston April 2012
    You've stolen my new catchphrase!

That's some undertaking, are you up for it Ben?

The Ferry thing is odd, there must be some way of working this to your benefit, I assume they stop the clock when you arrive in Rostock, so if you get there at 11.01 does this mean you get an extra 2 hour pause than if you arrived just in time for the ferry?
    If the whole route is on the B-K path then thousands of pensioners on "trekking bikes" will be a major hazard at that time of year!...fit a bell.
    Yeah I was wondering how they'd negotiate the ferry in on that. I'm certainly not up for attempting it in 24 hours, but I might have a week free end of May and I was thinking about trying to do Berlin-Copenhagen then. It might be my only chance to ride myself fit for the velothon too.
    I think the bike path route is nearer 700K so I guess they are on roads!
    passes within 50metres of my house!.....secret banana stop if I'm in country and I might be convinced to pace you some of the way from then on!
  • meatHaus April 2012
    Thing is, after doing 265km to Rostock, then sitting on a ferry, there would be no chance my seized up legs could do another 165km!
    presume the ferry has a bar too?  could be problematic
    If you're gonna do this in May Ben, more than welcome to stopover here, whether I'm here or not. I'm right on the "race" route...but a bit of a dog leg away from the B-KO path.
    Post edited by winston at 2012-04-26 02:53:24
    sure will. it's only a possibility right now tbh
  • winstonwinston June 2012
    Thinking of riding from my town (Roebel) to Warnemunde on Sunday, should be OK weather with tail/crosswinds....

Can't decide which route to take, the B-KO bike path which will be pretty safe, but possibly slow with mixed surfaces or the "race route" which is 30k shorter and most likely more suitable for road bikes.....but I know some of the roads it uses near here, which are pretty much drag-strips for cars and no bike path.....I wouldn't ride my bike along them under normal circumstances, so I can only assume that many of the roads further on will be similar.....

then train back....

B-KO: 150k approx
    race route: 120k

I think B-KO might be a better idea, will be good to see what the surfaces are like for that section.
    rode a significant section of this yesterday about 160k from Waren to Rostock.

It's not a path it's a route made up of quiet minor roads, roadside bike paths, urban bike paths, farm roads, fire roads, sandy dirt tracks and significant sections (up to 12k) on smooth, wide tarmac purpose - built bike roads in beautiful forest.

Early on we were on very rough tracks or loose sand which made us ask ourselves if road bikes were a good idea....tough to call, there are many sections where road bikes really aren't suitable....and a touring / mtb / cross bike would make more sense....but we never had to stop and total kms on such surfaces is probably less than 15% so perfectly rideable on a road bike and ultimately probably faster....but if you have any kind of luggage dont!

did 168k in total...went off route by accident with about 30k to go and found ourselves on a quiet road with tailwind so just carried on.

After about 50k my rear gear cable broke so (with the 22k back from station) I did abut 140k with only two gears....

great day....very few other cyclists in either direction......but did see a guy on a blue fixed bike coming the other way on one of the sandy sections with skinny tyres and panniers.....must've been a Londoner!

ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/rides/10498152
    Post edited by winston at 2012-06-12 01:16:45