Winter track trip : Ride the Boards
  • winstonwinston October 2011
    Anyone up for this?

Would be keen to get a group visit here organised: http://www.bikesberlin.com/discussion/56/frankfurt-oder-track-radrennbahn-velodrom-velodrome

Looks like the track is available for hire and far more accessible than Berlin Velodrom. It's about an hour by train from Hauptbahnhof, thinking we may be able to get a good few (at least 10,, maybe a good few more) involved if we engage with P E L O T O N and Fahrtwind.

Maybe a weekend 2-3 hour session with food in a local restaurant after...could be a social too.

Although there is a good info page on their site, what we really need is someone bilingual to call up, confirm prices, check availability, cost of coach, whether licenses are required, and if there are hire bikes....and possibly someone to translate the coach on the day.....

When I get back to DE I'll send out an email to all members.

• benedictbenedict October 2011
    I've sent them a message enquiring about bike hire. I'll let you know if I get a response.
    great...your German improving?....I just bought Michel Thomas to listen to in the car.
    It is but slowly. I have enough to write extremely basic emails with the help of Google translate and dict.cc ;) 

I read a piece yesterday that said as a guide it would take around 1000 hours to become competent in a new language. So with 3 hours a day you could be fluent as little as a year. 

Unfortunately my lessons are 1.5 hours per week. So at that rate it'll be another decade - not a very encouraging thought!
    I just got a reply:

"No, it is not possible........."

Back to the drawing board?
    Unfortunate....think we need to get a native speaker to call and get the score.....if it's like Manc or Newport there will be coaches available who can "induct" novices.

It may just be a venue that is "dry hired" by the hour, they may have rules on what level of riders can hire or may be happy for us to provide coaches...

would be unfortunate if this was limited to those who own or can borrow bikes.....but I'm sure there must be a few of us around...I'll try to work out if there are public sessions and maybe go to one...and maybe speak to someone when I'm there.
    The guy says that there are no public training sessions, I think only for teams that have a coach:
    find bilingual coach?